Canadian Magazine Industry News
9 June 2011,     TORONTO
Canada Periodical Fund grants to come later this year, in two stages
Magazine publishers will see a change this year on how much funding they will receive and when under the Canada Periodical Fund.

Ramzi Saad, director of periodical publishing for Canadian Heritage, was part of a panel at MagNet June 9 discussing public policy and digital economy strategy. He said the $15 million that Canada Post used to provide to the old postal subsidy, which it withdrew two years ago, has been re-confirmed in the new federal budget for the periodical fund ($75 million total).

From left, panelists Niel Hiscox (Universus Media), Nancy Payne (editor of Kayak) and Ramzi Saad (Canadian Heritage) speak on public policy
From left, panelists Niel Hiscox (Universus Media), Nancy Payne (editor of Kayak) and Ramzi Saad (Canadian Heritage) speak on public policy

Payments will now come in two parts, with cheques to be issued in August or September this year (80% of total funding), with another round of cheques expected in January of next year (remaining 20% of funding), he explained. Normally, cheques for the full amount would be expected in June or July.

Last year was the first year
of the new CPF, which replaced the old postal subsidy (Publications Assistance Program) and Canada Magazine Fund. Qualifying publishers transitioning to the new CPF were guaranteed an amount between 90% and 150% of what they received under the last year of the old programs. That won't necessarily be the case this year. "The amounts (given) to publishers will change," Saad said.

Copies sold by subscription or newsstand will be treated equally for funding, he said.

A letter will go out prior to the cheques informing publishers how much assistance they will receive. There is no appeal process for an individual publisher if the funding has dropped from last year. 

A strategy is being devised to get cheques out if Canada Post is still on strike by then, noted Saad.

The fund will continue to favour small-to-medium publications, he said.

— Jeff Hayward
Story Tools
Most Recent News Comment
Jaded says:
Wow, Torstar really seems to be on a mission to bankrupt one magazine after another....
Most Recent Blog Comment
Marty Seto says:
Help Spread the word for Orange Shirt Day on September 30 too....
Martin Seto Gadget Blog
Martin Seto
Most recent posts:
Scott Bullock Covers Sell
Scott Bullock
Most recent posts:
Industry Guest Blogger Words of Inspiration
Industry Guest Blogger
Most recent posts:
Dennis Kelly 57 Media Spikes
Dennis Kelly
Most recent posts:
Norm Lourenco RGD Magazine Media Brandaid
Norm Lourenco RGD
Most recent posts:
Richard Johnson Off the Page
Richard Johnson
Most recent posts:
Special Reports