Judges must have significant work experience relevant to the category being judged, as well as meeting one or more of the following additional criteria:
- Have experience as a past judge in the category to be judged or a similar category;
- Have expertise as a past winner in the category to be judged or a similar category;
- Be nominated to judge by a peer at a CCNA-member or CNA-member newspaper;
- Be employed in the newspaper industry;
- Be employed in a field related to the category to be judged. This includes, but is not limited to, journalism professors at the post-secondary level and individuals working in related fields such as advertising or photography.
Judging the Canadian Community Newspaper Awards and Great Idea Awards is a unique and rewarding experience, as it allows our judges to have an exclusive look at the best articles, photographs, headlines, stories, and overall newspapers from the past calendar year.
The contest judging will take place in February, and judges must commit to judging the entirety of their assigned category. Judge advice and constructive feedback will be published in the Winner’s Book and their contribution acknowledged alongside the category they judged.
We encourage you to fill out the nomination form to nominate either yourself or your colleagues as judges for our awards.