Welcome to the new MastheadOnline.com!
We’ve designed it to provide even greater service to the magazine industry; to make it easier for magazine people to read our news content; to provide more links to important magazine news, trends and service articles from around the world; and to create interactive forums where magazine people can interact, trade advice and seek answers.
We’ve widened the page to make better use of screen real estate. We’ve improved the typography for bolder headlines and better navigation. And we’ve enhanced popular services such as Canada’s best Job Board for the magazine industry.
Here’s a quick run-down of what’s new:
• Our Premium News Service, with original reporting by Masthead editors, is now free for all to read and fully searchable. (Full documents from the Magazine Industry Resource Library are available to paid subscribers only.)
• You can comment on our news stories, blog-style, using the new Comment function. We invite constructive feedback and opinions.
• Join the conversation at the brand-new Magazine Community Boards, a space for interactive communication between magazine professionals. We’ve started with three forum topics: Cover Critique, Independent Publishing and General Chat.
This is a space where magazine people can share ideas, ask questions, respond to industry issues and kick around ideas. Want some feedback on a new cover? You can post your cover and thoughts in our Cover forum. Want to comment on industry trends? Join the General Chat. Looking for sales advice as an independent publisher? Log onto our Independent Publishing forum.
We are pleased to have Michael Brooke, founder of skateboarding title Concrete Wave and an unabashed independent publisher, as our Independent Publishing forum moderator. Actually, he calls the forum a “blorum,” a hybrid blog and forum, where readers can respond to his posts, but can also start their own conversational threads.
• Check out Mag News Around the Web. These are useful links to publishing-related stories from around the world, as chosen by our editors and updated several times each day.
• You can set up RSS feeds to be automatically alerted when three areas of our site are updated: Premium News, Mag News Around the Web and Jobs. RSS feeds are a great way to stay up-to-date with the news. To learn more, visit the CBC’s excellent description of RSS feeds here.
(Just insert the words “MastheadOnline.com” for “CBC” and you’re done! Hey, we pay taxes too.)
• We have expanded our Events calendar to include Canadian and international events about magazine and online publishing. Plus, the top five upcoming Events are duplicated on our home page, with a direct link to the organizer’s site.
• We’ve created a new list of important magazine industry blogs and sites. The list is included in our always-useful Industry Links section, which also contains Association, Awards, Education and Government links.
• We’ve created a new Business Classifieds service. Selling your magazine? Looking to buy a magazine? Want to offer your consulting services? Use our new Business Classifieds. For one price you also get a bonus listing in our weekly Masthead Express e-bulletin.
• Looking for a supplier? We’ve added quick links to key supplier categories on the home page and many other pages, all pointing to our extensive Find A Supplier service, Canada’s best directory of magazine industry suppliers. (Calling all suppliers: contact us for an enhanced listing and link to your site.)
…And this is just the beginning! We have more plans for more services and features to roll out in the months ahead. We hope you enjoy the site and find it useful. And we welcome feedback.
Publisher, for the Masthead team
P.S. Thanks to webmaster Thomas Wang, assistant publisher Gloria Ma and editor Marco Ursi for a great job building the new MastheadOnline.com.