The Renegade Writer: A Totally Unconventional Guide to Freelance Success by Linda Formichelli and Diana Burrell
Query Letters That Rock: The Freelance Writer’s Guide to Selling More Work Faster by Linda Formichelli and Diana Burrell
How to Write Irresistible Query Letters by Lisa Collier Cool
Secrets of a Freelance Writer by Robert Bly
How to Make Money Writing Corporate Communications by Maryclaire Collins
The Copywriter’s Handbook by Robert Bly
The Subversive Copy Editor by Carol Fisher Saller
And for those of you interested in writing fiction (and anyone looking for inspiration and motivation), I recommend anything by Natalie Goldberg; Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott; If You Want to Write by Brenda Ueland; and On Writing by Stephen King.
What are some of your favourite books about editing, writing or freelancing?
* "The Bigger Picture: Elements of Feature Writing" (edited by Ivor Shapiro). A rare
Canadian collection of practical essays on feature writing.
* On interviewing, Paul McLaughlin's "Asking Questions," available on his web site http://paulmclaughlin.ca/.
• Elements of Style by Strunk & White
• Not specifically about writing, but a great reference: Grammar to Go: The Portable A-Zed Guide to Canadian Usage by Rob Colter
• Get a Freelance Life: mediabistro.com's Insider Guide to Freelance Writing by Margit Feury Ragland & Laurel Touby