A weekly roundup of job-hunting tips, career advice and interesting articles relevant to the magazine industry and being an editor.
• "5 Questions to Ask the Hiring Manager" by Lindsay Olson on U.S. News.
When you're being interviewed, it's a good idea to ask questions. Here are five decent ones that will help you decide if the job you're applying to is the right one for you.
• "Is Journalism as We Know it Becoming Obsolete?" by Mathew Ingram on GigaOM.
Media and publishing institutions may be suffering, but journalism isn't dead.
• "Teaching Magazine Journalism Beyond the Magazine" by Susan Currie Sivek on Media Shift.
How a few journalism teachers stay relevant as the magazine industry changes.
• "Anatomy of a Zine: When Magazines Go Indie" by Meredith Melnick on Time.
• "How The New York Times is taking Twitter reporting faster and deeper with @NYTLive" by Jeff Sonderman on Poynter.
If your publication has just a single Twitter account, maybe you need to add another. The New York Times
is finding that multiple accounts allows it to speak to different segments of its audience.